Monday, August 15, 2011

Cat Projections

So we have this cat, Big Red Boy, the last of three who moved in not long after we did, not from a shelter but from the street.  Not many out there now as coyotes have taken care of the surplus.  So last night I am reading an essay on People's Park and public space for this Writing Culture class I am about to teach for the first time, and I hear meowing right outside the window.  Usually when Red wants to come in, he "rings the doorbell." (We have replaced the shingles to the lower right of the front door several times.)  This time he is standing facing the street in the middle of the yard howling.  I call him in and kiss, cuddle, and coo, "What's wrong?  Tell Mommy."  Claudine comes in and we speculate.  C thinks it was the previous night's full moon.  I think there is a young lady in heat and he knows it but due to castration, he can do nothing about it.  I put him on the floor and he wants out.  He goes.  I watch as he goes right back to the previous spot and begins tossing a dead mouse in the air.  So the howling was an audio text to the neighborhood proclaiming his victory?

No comments:

Post a Comment